In 2009, Bhutanese and Nepali refugees who had been living in refugee camps in Nepal for almost two decades were relocated to Louisville. Almost 2000 Bhutanese/Nepali refugees have since settled in Louisville, and when the resettlement is complete, over 3000 Nepali speaking people will reside in the community. 98% of these people come from a Hindu world-belief system. Their physical, emotional and spiritual needs are great. As a people group, they are open to listening to the gospel message. Currently, there is not a church that reaches out to these beautiful people and offers teaching and worship in their heart language. Asha Church seeks, with God’s help, to fulfill the need.
Asha Church (Hope Church)
Vision: Introducing Christ to the Nepali speaking people in Louisville.
- Love the Lord Jesus Christ (worship)
- Love Christ-followers (disciple)
- Love Nepali speaking people (evangelize)
- Love the World (serve)
- Reaching Nepali-speaking people with the gospel
- Teaching them to experience God in biblical worship
- Connecting them to the body of Christ through worship gathering and home fellowship
- Helping to start and grow other Nepali churches
- Developing and maintaining healthy families
Statement of Faith:
- We believe God wrote the Bible through men without error. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- We believe God exists eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Deuteronomy 6:4, 2 Corinthians 13:14)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal God who became a man, lived a sinless life, died on a cross, was buried, and rose in life from the grave to redeem sinful people. (John 1:14, 1 Peter 2:21-22, Acts 4:10, Phi 2:7-11, Luke 23:26-24: 53)
- We believe the Holy Spirit has been sent to save mankind, baptizing all Christians into God's church by living in their hearts and sealing them until the day of Christ’s return. (John 16:8-11, 2 Corinthians 3:6, 1 Cor. 12:12-14, Romans 8:9, Eph 5:18)
- We believe all humans are sinful and in need of being saved (salvation). Salvation is the gift of God brought to humans by grace alone, and received by personal faith and belief in the Lord Jesus Christ. A true Christian will be kept by God’s power forever. (John 6:37-40, John 10:27-30, Romans 8:1, 1 Cor. 1:4-8, 1 Peter 1:5)
- We believe God has created all humans in his image. He has created them uniquely female and male. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- We believe the church is a spiritual body made up of all believers everywhere for all time. (Eph 1:22-23, Eph 5:25-27, 1 Cor. 12:12-14, 2 Cor. 11:2)
- We believe the establishment of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament. (Acts 14:27, Acts 18:22, 1 Tim 3:1-3, Titus 1:5-11)
- We value the local church and practice believer’s Baptism and the Lord’s Supper as a valued and integral part of our worship. (Acts 13:1-4, Acts 15:19-31, Rom 16:14, 1 Cor 3:9, 1 Peter 5:1-4, Matt 28:19-20, Acts 2:41, 42, Acts 18:8, 1 Cor 11:23-36)
- We believe that Jesus is returning to earth to judge all people and to rule and reign with His saints forever. (Rev 22:12, 2 Tim 4:1)
A broader explanation of beliefs we affirm can be found in the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.